Thursday, May 5, 2011

Frugal Kitchen Tools

Penny has an interesting post up about frugal kitchen tools.
I cook.
A lot.
Bake, stir fry, roast, whatever you want to call it, I do it.
I am not the most frugal food shopper, and it is something I am working on, but I suppose my costs would be even higher if I didn't have my frugal kitchen tools.
In no particular frugal order, here are my favorite frugal kitchen tools:
KitchenAid Mixer : Man, I love this thing. It makes mixing everything from potatoes to cakes to muffins to cheesecake so easy. I also use it to keep Rainman busy (loves to follow recipes), but this is definitely my toy.
Dutch Oven: I got mine at BJ's Wholesale for under $40, right around the time I became one of Dorie Greenspan's disciples (her chicken for the lazy is amazing), and I use it constantly. Stick in a chicken, vegetables, on a bread bed, forget it, and your kitchen smells mouth watering. The finished product is even better. ;)
I have a few kept out of the way sharp knives, and I agree they are indispensable, but I picked mine up at Marshall's, TJ Maxx, or BJ's.
And I won one at Eat At Home Cooks.
There are two things I am keeping an eye out for, when I see a good sale/price.
One is a pressure cooker.
Not sure where my fear of pressure cooker comes from (almost as irrational as my fear of clowns), but I've always shied away from them.
Ice Cream Maker: This is something I really would like to get before summer. This is a want, not a need obviously, but I see this as fractionally money saving but definitely better nutritionally (I can control what goes in, as well as what doesn't).
I love to get a glimpse into others kitchens, so please comment :)

No comments: